Some amazing moms join together to share what we do to enrich, enlighten and educate our children.
Welcome to Love of Learning!

01 March 2009

Bird Seed Wreaths

We did these on Friday for Preschool and thought that you might like to see how I did them.
I found the idea on a website where they suggested using bagels. A great idea and one I would have used had it not been 10pm at night the night before we were to meet! So, I threw together some flour, oats and water to make these cute rings.

I dumped, so here's my guess:
1 1/2 to 2 cups wheat flour
1 1/2 to 2 cups white flour
1 cup oats
2 cups water
I put oats in because I wanted to add texture, I thought the birds might like them, and they are great for soaking up water. (Which I needed to make the rings rock hard.)
I mixed it all together to get a stiff dough. Rolled it into 1/2 inch thick, then cut it into strips. I cut the strips in half which gave me enough to make about 12 rings. I ran one tip of each strip under water for just a second to get wet when I picked them up to mold them into a rings. That helped them stick together better.
Baked at 350 degrees for about 45 min. Then I turned off the oven and let them sit in the heat of the oven overnight. This is not necessary, but, like I said, I wanted them rock hard. I definitley accomplished my desire!
At preschool, we glazed each wreath with peanut butter. Then let the kids dip their wreaths in bird seed. I found that it helped to really press the seeds into the peanut butter. The more seeds you can get on there the better!
The finishing touches: A bright yellow yarn for attracting birds! This was messy, fun, cheap, and easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment